The perfect workspace is the one that allows you to carry out your professional duties and stay comfortable and safe throughout the whole workday.
Buying second-hand office furniture allows businesses to provide their employees with the best working conditions while staying within the budget. A second hand office chair is your chance to get an advanced ergonomic model that will serve you for many years with a sufficient discount.
And while used office chairs provide almost limitless possibilities for customization, it is essential to know how exactly you can adjust your pre-owned chair to make sure that it fits your needs perfectly.
In this article, we shall discuss why the adjustment features are so crucial for second-hand office chairs and how to make sure that you get the most out of them.
What makes a perfectly adjustable workspace?
Healthcare experts say that there are 3 points that you should pay attention to while sitting behind the desk in the office:
- The office chair's seat;
- The work surface – desktop, keyboard, etc.;
- The floor or footrest.
It is essential that at least 2 out of these 3 points are adjustable to make sure that your workplace is perfectly comfortable and safe.
However, we don't live in an ideal world, and it is often impossible to control and adjust everything properly. In this case, getting a quality office seat or adjusting a second-hand office chair you might have bought or received from the office is the best way to ensure your comfort and safety.
Things to consider choosing a second-hand office chair.
Experts say that there is simply not such a thing as an "average" or "normal" body type. In other words, what fits your colleague may not work for you even if you are more or less of the same height and weight. Age, health peculiarities, habits and numerous other factors may alter the way it is comfortable and safe for you to sit at your office chair.
It is another reason why the market for used office chairs is so popular today. It offers a wider inventory and choice. You are almost guaranteed to find a perfect used chair for you in one day rather than go from brand to brand and from store to store looking for your perfect new item.
Practice shows that once you get an adjustable model, there is a 95% chance that you will manage to make it perfect for your posture once you approach the process correctly.
Only 5% of people in the world have such physical peculiarities that they cannot benefit from the market of used office furniture and may need custom-made chairs.
Here are details and features that ought to be in a perfect office chair:
- A seat that adjusts for both height and tilt does not put pressure on the back of thighs or knees and has a front edge that curves towards the floor;
- Breathable, non-slippery fabric on the seat;
- Adjustable armrests;
- A backrest that supports the lower back;
- A swivel mechanism.
- Wheels or casters. It is essential that they suit the type of floor in your office;
- A stable five-point base.
- Controls that are easy to reach and use from a sitting position.
Once the chair has all or at least most of those features, you will manage to easily adjust it according to your needs. That is why it is so essential to look for them once you decided to get a second-hand office chair.
How to adjust a used office chair properly?
Most people think that once they mage to rise and lower the seat of their office chair, it is quite enough for perfect adjustment. However, by observing the following rules, you will manage to instantly turn any used office chair into the most comfortable seat you have ever had.
Here are 5 easy steps to adjust a used office chair properly:
- Stand in front of the chair and adjust the height of the seat, so it is right below your knee cap;
- Sit on the chair and make sure that you can put a clenched fist between the seat's edge and the back of your knees;
- Adjust the backseat so it would precisely fill the hollow in your lower back;
- Sit upright and bend your elbows at precisely a 90o angle. Adjust armrests to this position. If it is impossible to adjust armrests to this position, it is better to remove them at all;
- If possible, tilt the seat itself forward and backwards until you feel perfectly comfortable.
Once you feel comfortable at your workplace, avoid muscle strain, backaches, migraines and other consequences of poor posture, you will instantly become more concentrated, productive and involved in the work process.
This will inevitably lead to higher performance and faster movement towards your career goals.
In other words, a perfectly adjusted used office chair is your chance to make the most out of the workday and prove yourself as a high-class professional.